Rigel Engineering, LLC has developed the Altair family of rugged, conduction-cooled small form factor (SFF) processor systems engineered to address the stringent Size, Weight, and Power-Cost (SWaP-C) constraints of today’s critical mission computers in avionics and vehicle platforms. The Altair rugged mission computers employ Commercial-Off-the-Shelf (COTS) components and feature full system-level flexibility by incorporating a COM Express Compact or Basic sized Single Board Computer module (SBC), a PMC/XMC slot and two MiniPCIe sockets. Altair also provides a MIL-STD-704F power supply with configurable hold up times exceeding the standard 50 millisecond requirement. The innovative and open standard design approach allows us to provide the exact system that meets your processing and I/O requirements.
The mezzanine expansion sites allow the system to be custom configured to use any available COM Express module to meet the processing requirement, such as Intel’s powerful Core i7 to the latest low-power 3800 ATOM series (formerly Bay Trail), Freescale or ARM based processors. I/O and Communication requirements such as MIL-STD-1553B, ARINC 429/717, CAN bus, ADCs, custom FPGA cards, etc. can easily be integrated into the system through the available mezzanine sites.
The Altair provides access to a wide range of I/O through two high-speed MIL-DTL-38999 connectors, supporting differential data rates up to 10 Gbps for external I/O interfaces such as 10GbE, SATA or high-speed USB. The I/O is expanded from Rigel’s CB2603 COM Express carrier card via built-in native I/O and module support. The 38999 connectors are routed to the processing elements via the GB1300 interface card that is easily matched to meet the system I/O functionality and pinout requirements, which provides a cleaner, more rugged design without the need of a costly and schedule killing custom internal cable harness.
The Altair comes with a rich selection of native I/O already built into the system which includes Gigabit Ethernet, High Definition Audio CODEC, eight serial interfaces, two internal embedded SATA devices that support either 32 or 64GB each, 2x SATA ports for external access, GPIO, USB, VGA and DVI support. All this onboard I/O can be supplemented with readily available mezzanine COTS modules for COM Express, PMC/XMC and MiniPCIe.
- Flexible, Rugged conduction-cooled design
- MIL-DTL-38999 connectors with data rates up to 10Gb
- +28V MIL-STD-704F 150W Power Supply
- System Configurable 50ms+ Hold-up (optional)
- COM Express Type 6 Basic Module carrier – CB2603
- Scalable processor modules; ATOM – i7 Quad core
- Conduction-cooled XMC (8-lane) / PMC (PCI-X 133MHz) Slot
- Two MiniPCIe Sockets (Half-Mini and/or Full-Mini Card)
- Dual 32/64 GB Embedded SATA (SSD)
- Gigabit Ethernet
- HD Audio CODEC
- Four configurable RS-232/422/485 ports and Four RS-232 ports
- 12 GPIO pins
- VGA and DVI Display
- SATA ports
- USB 2.0 ports
- Operating temperature: -40C to +71C
- Internal Temperature sensor
- Dimensions L x W x H: 9.181” x 5.3” x 3.525”
- Standard Finish: External – Black Anodized, Internal – Gold Chromate